Wednesday , September 24 2014
Home / Bangladesh / Grameen Bank

Grameen Bank

Grameen Bank is a Specialized Development Banks In Bangladesh . The Grameen Bank came into operation with the hand of Professor Muhammad Yunus . He was the  Head of the Rural Economics Program at the University  of Chittagong, and he  launched an action research project to examine the possibility of designing a credit delivery system to provide banking services targeted at the rural poor. He Take the research  Jobra  and some of the neighboring villages during 1976-1979.  In October 1983, the Grameen Bank Project was transformed into an independent bank by government legislation. Now a day Grameen Bank is owned by the rural poor whom it serves. Borrowers of the Bank own 90% of its shares, while the remaining 10% is owned by the government. The Grameen Bank also known as Poor’s Bank .

Grameen Bank’s positive impact on its poor and formerly poor borrowers has been documented in many independent studies carried out by external agencies including the World Bank, the International Food Research Policy Institute (IFPRI) and the Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS).

The Nobel Peace Prize 2006 and Grameen Bank

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2006, divided into two equal parts, to Grameen Bank and Muhammad Yunus  for their efforts to create economic and social development from below. Lasting peace can not be achieved unless large population groups find ways in which to break out of poverty. Micro-credit is one such means. Development from below also serves to advance democracy and human rights.

 

Other Awards Received by Grameen BankGrameen Bank

  1. SWITZERLAND : Aga Khan Award For Architecture : 1989
  2. BELGIUM : King Baudouin International Development Prize : 1993
  3. BANGLADESH : Independence Day Award : 1994
  4. MALAYSIA : Tun Abdul Razak Award : 1994
  5. UNITED KINGDOM : World Habitat Award : 1997
  6. INDIA : Gandhi Peace Prize : 2000
  7. U.S.A. : Petersberg Prize : 2004

 

Grameen Bank  Head Office Address

Grameen Bank Bhaban
Mirpur – 2, Dhaka -1216
Bangladesh
Phone : (880-2) 8011138
Fax : (880-2) 8013559
Email : grameen.bank@grameen.net
Website: www.grameen-info.org

About AKM Borhanich

Hello I’m AKM Borhanich [google.com/+akmborhanice] From Bangladesh. I am really busy with my Job. In the Meantime I try to make some useful webs like: TheScholarship.org , scholarship4u.info and many More. Borhanich.com is my Online V'card and Munshi IT Is my official Website.
Add Comment Register

Leave a Reply